Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Monthly Wanderings: March 2020





March 2020 has sucked. There's no way around it. It hasn't sucked not just for me but for the whole world. It's been a month of destroyed dreams and lost lives. I've tried to stay positive about it but it feels like every string of hope I latch onto gets taken away. 



What I did:


1.) Despite all of the chaos, I've managed to get an outline together for The Rose in the Wolf (formally Red Hood) and I'm now over 15K into the rewrite (not including the first five chapters which make up another 10K). So I feel like that's a big accomplishment. Thank God the publishing world is still moving right now. 


2.) March has been ... extremely hard, the hardest it's been in nine years for me. I've either lost or have had one of my jobs suspended until further notice and in my other job I've been in grocery stores watching shelves be demolished and people walking around in masks and surgical gloves. It feels like the apocalypse. I almost wish I was forced to stay home because I'm tired of being amidst all of the stress. It's gotten better over time, but that doesn't mean I'm not taking off some time next month to recover. 


My mental health has taken a big hit. I've cried ... a lot. I've felt extreme loneliness because I don't know when I'm seeing any of my closest friends or family again. I'm so grateful I got to see three of them in February, but I'm afraid I won't see any of them again for a very long time and that just crushes me. 

Escapism has been my best coping mechanism. I've CCed, written, watched anime, GMM, read books, and played video games. When I'm lost in those fictional worlds, I forget about how broken ours is right now. 

3.) I've finished Let the Ghosts Speak by Bryan Davis and Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson and have enjoyed both. ^ ^


4.) I wanted to have an A Quiet Place II review up on Culture Eater, but the release has been suspended. I've anticipated this film for years ...





The Geeky Department:


1.) I got to play 
Ori and the Will of the Wisps which is a game I've anticipated for years and years. I adored the first one and I enjoyed the second one equally. Gorgeous storytelling, beautiful music, and graphics of your dreams.



2.) I've finally finished Final Fantasy X! I played the game up until the last few bosses then watched the YouTube gameplay because I didn't feel like making the effort. XD But I really enjoyed the story!


3.) My new solace has been Animal Crossing: New Horizons. I played the original Animal Crossing as a kid on my Nintendo DS and when I saw the trailer for this new edition I knew it was the game for me right now. It's relaxing and adorable. 


What I'm Going to Do:


1.) I'm participating in CampNaNo with a 30K goal so I can get a good chunk of The Rose in the Wolf written. 


2.) I was going to MegaCon. I was so excited, but because of the pandemic it's been canceled. It's been moved to June and I'm praying that it can still happen, but I can't say I'm not supremely disappointed because that was my birthday plans ...


3.) I'm going to finish The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman and start Firstborn by Tosca Lee and maybe Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan. 



Last Month on Wanderer's Pen ...
A Book Review of The Lost Causes of Bleak Creek by Rhett McLaughlin and Link Neal
A Book Review of the Queen's Resistance by Rebecca Ross
ScribeTunes: Soft-Action
Five Tips on Designing Book Covers for Indie Authors Featuring TerriblyBadBookCovers
A Book Review of The Progeny by Tosca Lee
Advanced Description: Take Your Prose to the Next Level
ScribeTunes: Somber
Coming Soon to Wanderer's Pen ...


April 3: A Book Review of Let the Ghosts Speak by Bryan Davis - I feel like this is Mr. Davis's magnum opus. It has all of his favorite things wrapped up in one book!


April 7:  Writing Lessons from Video Games: Final Fantasy X - I was inspired by the game so I had to write a post about it!


April 
10: ScribeTunes: Skirmish - A post about a playlist for your fight scenes!


April 14: Now I’m 27 ... - I'm honestly hesitant about writing this post because I'm not liking how my 27th year is going to look so far, but we'll see what happens in the coming weeks.


April 17: A Book Review of Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson - I really really enjoyed this book! It was so fun!


April 21: A Book Review of the Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman - This is a strange but deep book. I'm glad I read it though. :)


April 24: ScribeTunes: Chasing - A post about a playlist for your chase scenes!


April 28: Monthly Wanderings: April 2020 - Like this but for May, but if there doesn't seem to be any improvement in well the state of the world I'll be either lessening my posts to just once a week or going on hiatus in May. The only reason why I have a full April schedule is that I got most of these done in advance.



These are dark and scary times. I wish I could give some profound word to encourage you guys, but right now I just wanted to be real. I feel like I'm living in a YA dystopian novel as I watch the world. I'm just praying this crisis can be over soon not just for my sake but for everyone. And I'm praying for all of you readers to be safe and healthy. 

How was your month? What did you do? Are you looking forward to any of the upcoming posts?



You may also like:

No comments:

Post a Comment