Friday, June 1, 2018

MegaCon Orlando 2018 Report





This is my third year in a row attending MegaCon Orlando and I got to check yet another swath of celebrities and cosplays off my bucket list!



Day 1:

After my bus ride down, Casey, Amy, and I ate out at Third Culture Kitchen where I got to try Filipino and Argentinean food! I had yucca fries with banana ketchup, chimichurri skewers with fried plantains, and dulce de leche flan for dessert! 


When I got to my friend's house we did some planning and played some Conquest of the Longbow!




Day 2:

Since MegaCon on Thursdays doesn't start till later in the afternoon, we went out to lunch at the Sunshine Cafe in downtown Titusville where I had some delicious buns and broccoli soup!


After getting into cosplay, we headed to the convention. I got to do some shopping, meet a GUG colleague after knowing him for years via the internet, meet Maile Flanagan voice of Naruto, and see some great artwork! I got to share a bit with Maile about how much Naruto has meant to me as a character which was really cool. 






At the end of the day, I got to do a photoshoot and I got these great pics as season 2 Ymir from Attack on Titan.




Day 3:


First thing on the docket for this day was getting into line to see Cary Elwes aka Wesley from Princess Bride. Squee! He's still as handsome as ever and I found this beautiful artwork for him to sign. 


I got to see even more cool cosplay and we finished the day with a photoshoot!










Then I got home ...

And I found out my Cary Elwes signature was gone.

That was $65 lost and my beautiful signature and artwork and I really freaked out. The only thing I can think that could have happened was I set it down and someone swiped it, but in short, I cried myself to sleep that night. 

But ...



Day 4:


Today had a bit of a damper on it because I lost my signature. I was still super excited about being able to wear my Bishamon cosplay, but I was pretty down. We checked Lost and Found and it wasn't there, so that pretty much confirmed someone took it (Karma will get you someday, thief). However, we went back to the signing booth and the line was short. We spoke to some of the staff managing the signing and they remembered me from yesterday, so they let me get the signature again no charge. I just had to get the artwork again. So, all in all, it was a happy ending. Thank God there are good people in the world.

I got to meet Jewel Statie (Kaylee from Firefly) and get my Kaylee pop signed! She was really nice. And see even more great cosplay and do more shopping. Some of the things I purchased were maple chocolates from Truffle Cottage and a Frodo Pop!










Again we ended the day with a photoshoot, but this time at these super awesome panther statues that fit my Bishamon cosplay perfectly!







Day 5:


Today was the big day for the Elijah Wood photo shoot. Ahhhhhh!!! Thanks to our GUG colleague we managed to make the Elijah Wood panel where he discussed his career particularly about how much he esteems Viggo Mortensen and how he transitioned well from being a child star to an adult actor.





Then it was time for the photoshoot! AHHHH!!! I got to shake Elijah Wood's hand then we snapped this pic!


After a bit more shopping and cosplay-watching, we headed to dinner to meet up with year another GUG colleague. We had Sus-Hi Eatstation and sno from Sno Tea! Yummies! A great ending to a great weekend!








Conclusion - Between losing my Cary Elwes signature and the tightened convention security, it was a bit more stressful convention experience than I'm used to but I still had a good time and I still can't believe I got a photo with Frodo!


Have you been to a convention before? Which one(s)? Have you ever cosplayed? If so who? Have you ever met any celebrities?


No comments:

Post a Comment