Friday, June 29, 2018

Interview with Cohen (Silhouette)!






Me:
I haven't done a character interview in a long time but since Beautiful People has ended for the time being I thought I'd bring it back ... because I miss talking about my characters. XD Thank you to everyone who asked questions! This really helps me develop characters. *sitting in a chair Tonight Show-style, turns to Cohen who's sitting in the chair next to me* Hey, Cohen.

Cohen:
Hello.

Me:
Ready to get started? You've got a lot of questions.

Cohen:
Yes, it'll be a good break.



Me: 
Great. The first question is from Naomi: How long is his sentence, and how long has he served already?

Cohen:
Eight years. I've served five.

Me:
This second question is from Naomi as well: What does he do on Valdura? 

Cohen:
All of us mine zyrcium. It's a mineral essential for power. I work in the refinery.

Me:
Next one is from Christine: What's it feel like to be trapped in a clay replica? How did it feel at first? How long did it take you to adjust?

Cohen:
*pauses for a few seconds* Very difficult. It doesn't feel like anything. That's the trouble. I can't feel, taste, or smell. It took a year for me to get used to it.

Me:
Anna asks: What was your favorite food? (I'm assuming you can't still eat in the clay body?)

Cohen:
I can't eat. I don't have a stomach. *shifts in his chair* My favorite food is my mother's borscht. It's comforting to me.


Me:
I love borscht too. It just tastes like home. *smiles* Sara wants to know: Do you regret the circumstances or choices that led up to your imprisonment?


Cohen:
*immediately* Yes.


Me:
*nods* Melissa asks: Who or what would you sacrifice in order to leave Valdura?


Cohen:
Almost anything.


Me:
The next three questions are from Sara: Have you or anyone you know given any thought of "breaking out" (literally and figuratively) of your clay replica before your sentence ends? Or is such an escape impossible?


Cohen:
If we try to escape, our flesh bodies will be destroyed. We don't even know where they're kept. Life in this body isn't life at all. 


Me:
*trying to act sympathetic but I can't be too much since I like did this* Tell us about your friend Osment. What is he like? How has he helped you maintain hope that you'll leave your confinement and Valdura one day?


Cohen:
He's kind and much more lighthearted than I am. I get telegrams from my mother and he likes to fold the paper into shapes. I like to watch him. He's always there when I need him.


Me:
What do you remember of your home planet Copec? How is it different from Valdura?


Cohen:
I remember it very well. Mother tells me about it in her telegrams and sends me pictures on occasion. It's mountainous with flowers, valley, lakes, and fields. I've spent many nights laying in the fields and looking at the stars. 


Me:
That sounds beautiful. *looks at my laptop* Next question is from Christine: Tell us about your family. How do you feel about them?


Cohen:
My mother and I are close. My sister and I haven't been since ... I was arrested. We haven't spoken in five years. 


Me:
I'm sorry to hear that. Melissa asks: Would you kill to protect your family, knowing you would be caught and sent to Valdura again?


Cohen:
I ... That's a very difficult question. I don't want to answer that.


Me: 
All right. Next two questions are from Anna: Did you have a job in the apiary? What did and didn't you like about living there?



Cohen:
My family owns an apiary. We have for three generations. I've helped with taking care of the bees, extracting honey, candlemaking, and more. I ... I just wanted more than a simple life. I wanted to experience something better, something with less struggle.


Me:
*nods* Would you like to go back to university someday and earn a more advanced degree, if that's a thing in your world?



Cohen:
I've considered it, but I don't think I can afford it.


Me:
I see. Christine asks: What's a favorite childhood memory?



Cohen:
When I received my dog Scotch for my twelfth birthday. He's ... passed away since my incarceration.


Me:
Christine and Melissa would like to know: Why do you love the stars? What draws you so deeply to the stars and astronomy in general? 



Cohen:
Stars carry so much history. They're so much bigger than we are, so much more powerful than we are, yet they look so small. They've just always fascinated me.


Me:
They are beautiful. Anna asks: What astrophysical questions intrigue you?




Cohen:
I've always wondered how many stars there are or if they just go on forever.


Me:
Melissa and Christine both ask: What is your ideal future? What do you hope your future to be?




Cohen:
A life back home with my body with my family and a good job so we don't have to want again. 


Me:
It sounds like a good dream. Thank you for being with us again, Cohen.




Cohen:
Thank you for the break. 

Me: 
That's it for the interview! I'm going to do another one in September when I prepare for NaNo!





What do you think of Cohen? Do you have any further questions for him? Have you done character interviews before? Post a link in the comments!

You May Also Like:

No comments:

Post a Comment