Friday, November 11, 2016

Beautiful Books 2016 ~ Novel Update: Starbloods





It's NaNoWriMo and I'm hard at work on my new novel. Well it's actually an old novel I'm completely revamping, but I'm revamping it so much it's practically new. I've risen out of my writing sanctum where I type away vicariously with my writing buddy nightly to give you an update on its progress. If you missed it, you can check out Beautiful Books #1 to know more about what this book is about! If you'd like to participate hop on over to Paper Fury and Further Up and Further In!

Note: I had a scheduling error and the Vanmoriel call for questions will be up next week!


Overall, how is your mental state, and how is your novel going?
Pretty good actually. No lost sanity at this point. I'm moving on at a good place. Keeping pretty close to my outline, yet with a few surprises. I'll have to add a lot of description and smooth out a lot of stuff later on, but that's normally how my novels go. 

What’s your first sentence (or paragraph)?
I'm generous, so I'll show you the first paragraph:
Rouyn’s hand shook as he held the latest letter from the parents whom he hadn’t seen since he was a babe. The last time he’d received word from them was three months ago. They had to keep their messages inconsistent so as they couldn’t be tracked by those who wanted to find Rouyn, so they said. He’d never actually seen this enemy that was supposedly so evil and cunning that they had to send him away right after he was born. 

Who’s your current favourite character in your novel?
That's hard to say. This book is written in three point of views and each have different dynamics. I guess I like writing Elasa's point of view a lot. We're the same personality type and I like her determination despite her sandbags. 

What do you love about your novel so far?
I like writing in three point of views. Each are very different, though I'm still trying to cement Rouyn's. Stop being stubborn, boy!

Have you made any hilarious typos or other mistakes?
I don't read back over my writing unless I'm posting a quote as shown above, so I haven't dared open that can of worms. I usually discover my horrifying mistakes in the second draft. I know I've stumbled over some words late at night, and I also had a packing list issue where I forgot to include some things my character needed and they popped up magically later, because he needed them.


What is your favorite to write: beginning, middle, or end — and why?
Middle actually. It's when all of the exciting stuff happens like good character development and such. Beginnings are when things still to warm up and the end is when things well end!

What are your writing habits? Is there a specific snack you eat? Do you listen to music? 
I like drinking tea while I write. I'm robbing my tea stash this NaNoWriMo. I also like burning candles while writing. Yes, I listen to music. For this book I've been listening to a lot of Assassin's Creed II, the Silver Lining, Two Steps from Hell, and some Doctor Strange soundtracks. 


What time of day do you write best? Feel free to show us a picture of your writing space!
Night definitely. I write best from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m.

Because the lighting for my writing space is never good, I'll describe it. I write at a big oak desk with coasters my friend made me themed with my characters for my tea and water bottle then I have reference books between two lion bookends. I also have a box of tissues on hand along with candles and a lighter for said candles. 

How private are you about your novel while you’re writing? Do you need a cheer squad or do you work alone (like, ahem, Batman)?
I guess I like a happy medium. I'm a solitary being, but I do like some company, so I have my writing buddy Cassia. We war every night, help each other through tough spots in our books, encourage each other, and share excerpts with each other. 

Us in a bookstore.
What keeps you writing even when it’s hard?
I love writing. I love creating worlds. I like having goals to get to and I know I'll be disappointed if I don't reach them. 

What are your top 3 pieces of writing advice?
I've probably said these things before but I'll reiterate. 
1.) Don't wait for inspiration; run after it with a net and hunt it down. You'll find it eventually.
2.) Write with a buddy. Word wars are life. 
3.) Have an outline. It could save your life or your character's lives or both!

Me to inspiration.

And that's how my NaNoWriMo is going! I'm excited to see how this book turns out! Good luck, NaNoers!


Are you doing NaNoWriMo? Are you writing a novel? Are you participating in this link-up? Post your link in the comments so I can see!

You may also like:

No comments:

Post a Comment