Sunday, April 24, 2016

Writerly Bundle #12 Clinquant, Forever in My Dreams, and White Peony



 
Welcome to this week's Writerly Bundle! A post where I hope to inspire you with three of the world's greatest things: music, words, and tea.

I just finished Cinder (Review coming in May!) and since Peony was a character in the story and I have a White Peony tea, I thought the novel a great theme for today's post!


The Word:

clinquant


adjective
1. glittering, especially with tinsel; decked with garish finery.
 
 noun
2. imitation gold leaf; tinsel; false glitter.

Example Sentence: Women at the Emperor's ball danced in clinquant gowns.

All credit goes to chrystalisgrey

The Song:
"Forever in My Dreams"
by Two Steps from Hell


Since Cinder hasn't been made into a movie or show (yet), I had a bit of difficulty as to what piece I wanted to select for this post. I decided Two Steps from Hell was a good choice, because their music is neutral, if you will. But then there's a mountain of TSFH music to choose one. After browsing through my ridiculous collection of their music, I found this piece. It has a fairy tale like feel with its sweeping instruments with soft synthetic sounds like the sci-fi world that Cinder lives in. This reminds me of a tender moments between Cinder and Prince Kai. This piece is good for a romantic, happy, bittersweet, or peaceful scene across a variety of genres.




The Tea:

White Peony



Also known as Pai Mu Tan or Bai Mu Dan, White Peony is a sweet, mild Chinese tea made from unopened tea buds, as well as the two newest leaves to sprout. The freshly harvested leaf is allowed to wither dry in the sun. The natural oxidation that takes place during this withering gives White Peony beautiful, plush flavors. The nose is warm, floral and rich like fruit blossoms. The liquor is golden and bright. Clean, succulent floral-fruit flavor, melon sweetness, a touch of gentle savoriness and rounded mouthfeel. If you are beginning your exploration of white tea, or even just tea in general, our White Peony tea will serve a wonderful introduction.


How I found it: Because Adagio is awesome, they allowed me a free sample of my choice of tea in exchange for sharing about their site with my last order. I couldn't pass that up, so I selected this tea, a tea I've been wanting to try for a while.

This tea comes from the same site I bought the Avengers set,Sherlock set, Tolkien set, Avatar: the Last Airbender set,  Doctor Who set, Attack on Titan set, RWBY set, Divergent set, and Firefly set from!

The Tea: I wasn't sure what to expect with this tea, but I took my first sip of this golden brew with an open mind. This white tea has a light and floral taste. It reminds me a bit of scented oolongs such as Tea Ave's Magnolia Oolong, Ginger Lily Oolong, or Rose Oolong. There are some fruity elements such as a slight melon flavor. However, the tea has a slight bitter aftertaste, but sugar cuts that down. 

This tea does have similarities to the sweet Peony. Its origins come from the Commonwealth, an Asian country. It has the light fluttery taste of vibrant Peony with a bittersweet end.

A peony for Peony (Image not mine)

Serving Recommendations: I steeped this tea at 180 for four minutes and added sugar.

How much is it and where can you get it? You can find this tea at the Adagio website. You can buy this tea for $2 for a sample tin to $14 for a 20 oz. pouch.

So how good is it? This tea didn't thrill me, but I'll have it again when I want something light and simple. I like that the tea inadvertantly has similar to Linh Peony. Three stars!


Bonus! If you are a first-time Adagio customer I can send you a $5 giftcard! Ask in the comments for details! (This is no joke and no catch I seriously can. It's part of the amazingness of Adagio Teas)


Have you seen or used this word before? Have you heard this piece before? Have you read CinderHave you tried this tea?



If you liked this post, come back every other Tuesday for book reviews; Friday for tags, character interviews, and link-ups; Saturdays for writing advice and life updates; and Sundays for the Writerly Bundle which includes a new soundtrack piece, vocabulary word, and tea review!

No comments:

Post a Comment